Friday, September 18, 2009

Delmore Understands His Role

Dave Waddell of the Windsor Star talked to Andy Delmore, and it would appear that the veteran defenseman has come to grips with the role he is to play in this organ-i-zation.

"I look at the (lineup) sheet. I know the depth chart. I know how old I am. I know who they like, who is going to be a depth guy. It's not rocket science to me anymore. The chance of me being in Grand Rapids is pretty close to 100 per cent. I have to just go out there and show them I can still play in this league just in case something does happen during the season so they can call me up and I'll be reliable. That's pretty much my goals."

Delmore won the 2005-2006 Eddie Shore award for the AHL's Best Defenseman. He's no slouch, but he's going to have to battle hard to stay ahead of the young guns like Jakub Kindl as first call-up if something goes wrong. Though I could see Kenny using his ability and NHL experience in certain situations as a calming presence. Either way, the man, who's scored 43 goals and 101 points in 283 career NHL games, seems to have a good head on his shoulders. And we always dig that in Detroit.

1 comment:

  1. That is a ton of points for a defenseman if you think about it. He can play, didn't he have a hattrick in a playoff game?

    ReplyDelete