Friday, September 11, 2009

Meech is a Realist

With five spots guaranteed on the Red Wings blue line (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, and Ericsson), and Andreas Lilja's near-term future uncertain, it would seem that either Brett Lebda or Derek Meech is going to be odd man out.

Detnews.com ran this article after talking to Meech...
-
"I know I want to be a part of the top six (defensemen) so bad. But it's the Detroit Red Wings, one of the best organizations in the league. It's a tough job to do to crack this lineup."--Derek Meech
--------------------------------------------------------------
Meech split time between defense and forward last season over 41 games, scoring 2 goals (I was there for his first against Vancouver) and adding 5 assists...not exactly eye-opening numbers, but I think that Meech understands his role. The kid would probably play goalie if Babcock asked him to, anything to crack the Winged Wheel's lineup.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Meech went on...
"They've given me an opportunity to get in the lineup here. Babs (head coach Mike Babcock) has been really good, throwing me in the lineup, putting me on forward and giving me a chance to play. That's all you can ask for but now I've just got to try to make it worthwhile for myself and really stay consistent and play the way I know how to play."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could see Meech going on to be the next Kyle Quincy if he is indeed on the outside looking in of this year's lineup. He could get waived or traded and then end up on some crap team earning prime time minutes and really shine. I was mad when we waived Quincy, I'll be sad if we waive Meech. Here's a kid who's worked his butt off and done everything the coach has told him to do. But you have to do what's best for the team.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Being a part of the Red Wings is such an honor and it's something I take great pride in but you do look at other situations and see other guys getting opportunities elsewhere. The way I think about things is just to come here and try to make this club and if things don't work out here then hopefully it works out somewhere else."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hear you, Derek. Good luck, and no hard feelings if it doesn't work out.

1 comment: