Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wings Prospect Lashoff Named Captain

I told you that I would try and keep an eye on our prospects this year as best I can. Well here's a little ditty from thewhig.com about defenseman Brian Lashoff, who impressed the Wings' brass at Traverse City this year.

Defenceman Brian Lashoff is back as the captain of the Kingston Frontenacs and expecting big things from the club. Lashoff, who came to the Frontenacs in a trade from the Barrie Colts last December, said the team's leadership has been upgraded significantly with the addition of players like Zach Harnden, a former captain of the Peterborough Petes and Kaine Geldart, who was an assistant captain with the Plymouth Whalers.

I only remember Geldart from the Whalers because A.) He has a cool first name and B.) His parents didn't spell his cool last name right...I actually remember reading it in the program and thinking that. Back on topic, coming to a team halfway through the year and being named captain the following is a good deal. The kid seems to be a natural leader. Can't have too many of those in a locker room, so long as no one oversteps their boundaries.

Lashoff just returned from the National Hockey League training camp of the Detroit Red Wings. He also played 14 games last spring for the Grand Rapids Griffins in the American Hockey League playoffs.

"Playing 14 games as a pro is a long time. I learned a lot from playing with those guys. I think the confidence from that experience is something I'm going to bring back to our team."

I'd feel pretty good about coming back from an excellent camp hosted by the greatest organ-i-zation in sports too. Keep on maturing and honing those skills, Brian. The up-and-coming Detroit defensive core is looking more and more primed to take the reigns once the incumbents are ready to sail off into the sunset.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty damn sure that's Tatar in the picture. If not, it looks JUST like him. Looks much more like Tatar to me than it does Lashoff... Yep, I'm now officially positive that it's Tatar in the picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that you're "officially positive"? You might want to check again...

    ReplyDelete