Friday, September 25, 2009

May/Helm/Zetterberg

No, it's not a line combination...detnews.com has posted news about all 3 of these players.

Brad May:

Apparently, Mike Babcock wanted to bring Brad May into the Red Wing fold four years ago, but was never given permission to do so...

"Yeah I pushed for him a long time ago and I never got him. He used to thank me when we played against him. He'd say, 'Thanks for trying to get me signed.' I know he provides a physical presence and I don't feel we have much of that. We've had Aaron Downey in the past but we didn't have any this year."

May seems to be happy about getting the opportunity. Who wouldn't? After 17 seasons and over 2,100 PIMs, when the phone stops ringing until Detroit comes calling, he better be damn appreciative.

May had this to add:

"There are so many great young players coming up, you have to vie for your spot every year. But I am hopeful. Detroit is an Original Six team, a storied franchise, great players, great organization and it's my opportunity. I just have to be me and do what I can do. I still feel like I have a lot to offer."

Darren Helm:

Helm has only been ice the ice three times since his incident at training camp. He has pain in his shoulder just from skating and shooting. No chance that he makes it back in the lineup for the games in Stockholm.

How are your spirits, Helmer?

"For me to go out and practice at 60 percent isn't really going to do anything for me. I am just trying to find a way to back to 100 percent."

He will be traveling to Sweden with the team, but in all likelihood, it will be #8 Justin Abdelkader taking the ice in his stead. You got to feel for the kid, he was finally getting his shot at the big club, opening the season in marquee games overseas, and he's going to have to sit and watch the first few games...tragic.

Henrik Zetterberg:

Hank skated for about 10 minutes of practice yesterday and will not play in tonight's game against the Toronto Maple Leafs (as Khan[!] had told us yesterday). Babcock has been talking about reducing Zetterberg's average ice time from 22 minutes to 18 minutes a game.

"When you are in a game you want to play as much as possible. If a coach wants you to play less minutes, he knows it's not popular with the player but it might be good in the long run. Players want to play as much as possible."

I guess it's in the interest of Zata's longevity, but come on...he's not an old man. Just his groin get healthy and pair him with Pavel at the first sign of trouble this season. Seriously.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and Daniel Larsson will be making the trip as well to see his family and friends and to also make sure that Jimmy Howard never gets comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment