Monday, September 21, 2009

Franzen Ready for 1st Line Duty

Hey folks, I'm back from yet another weekend hiatus on the West side of Michigan. The Detroit News talked Johan Franzen after that little Spartan rat, Ryan Miller, stopped 42 out of 43 shots while leading the Sabres to a 3-1 win over Detroit.

"I want to take a step forward, that's for sure. I don't know exactly what my role will be but so far I seem to be more free, with a role on the power play.I just have to keep working on my shot and on getting open and trying to bury pucks when I get a chance. Because I think I am going to get a lot of chances."

Lots of chances? You betcha. Franzen had nine shots on goal (eleven total) against Buffalo while playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom. Unfortunately, only one (the Wings lone goal) found the twine behind Miller.

"It takes a game or two to get into it. (Saturday) we got the timing right but not the finishing touch. Maybe that will come the next game."

As long as you have it down by a week from this Friday, when the games finally start to mean something. Now that Franzen is a top line winger, it's not unreasonable for him to attain first line points this season, to the tune of 40 goals or so...

"It's a different role for me, but it's exciting. I know I have to keep working on my passes in case it ends up that way (playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom)."

Kenny Holland commented on Franzen and the lifetime deal made during last season to keep the Mule around for 11 more years for a total $43 million...

"You take a risk when you give a player a lifetime contract. You are gambling on the player's passion and work ethic. If you got a guy (like Franzen) who works all year-round and has a great passion for the game, your odds (of failure) are reduced. I am willing to bank on his passion, work ethic, his character and his heart."

We all knew (or should have known) that it was going to be Hossa or Franzen. Franzen had only 6 less goals than Hossa in the regular season while making a fraction of the money. Hossa scored in 3 games in the entire 2009 play-offs, Franzen was second on the team in points. We also signed Franzen for about $20 million total less than what Hossa thought he was worth. So when Kenny Holland talks about heart, passion, character, and work ethic...his choice seems more and more like a no-brainer.

2 comments:

  1. "Lots of chances? You betcha. Franzen had nine shots on goal (eleven total) against Buffalo while playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom. Unfortunately, none of them found the twine behind Miller."

    Except for the one that he fired into the mostly empty net after Pav's beautiful feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed. I'll check the box-score before trying to make any statistical assumptions from now on. Thanks for the pointer.

    ReplyDelete