Friday, September 25, 2009

More on May

With tonight’s game against the Maple Leafs looming, the Toronto Sun posted this about pro-tryout Brad May…who just happened to be a Leaf last year.

This is what Kenny Holland had to say yesterday about May, who’s had close to 150 fights in his professional hockey career.

"Brad is known for his physical play and dropping his gloves, but more than that, he's a tremendous team guy and he'll be in the lineup (tonight). In the playoffs, (there are few fights), but in 82 games some nights you have to protect yourself. We usually protect ourselves with a good power play, but if things get out of hand, Brad can play on our fourth line and bang some people. He has a dimension we don't have right now with fisticuffs."

Ahem, “bang some people”, Kenny? I’ll leave that one alone out of respect for our General Manager. Just so we make sure that by “banging people” Brad May knows that Kenny isn’t implying anything that has to do with either back-licking or cabbie slapping.

May continued to show excitement for his chance to make the team.

"If I get added to this group, I just have to do what I do. Looking around this room is exciting, but I can't get caught up in that. I know what my role is ... it's not just fighting, I can play this game. But because other guys don't (fight), that's irrelevant. I know what I have to do."

That’s right, Brad. What you have to do is work your butt off to make this team on a 2-Way contract, and then go play in Grand Rapids and amuse me when I go to Griffins games and watch you fight. Having May in Grand Rapids could be beneficial not just as a call-up for when the Red Wings need him, but also as a mentor to the European-heavy AHL squad, who could use someone like May to help toughen the kids up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment